Wednesday 20 November 2013

We interrupt this broadcast....

Today I want to post my review of fellow authonomy author, Kevin Bergeron.
I was expecting his novel, In a Cat's Eye to be good, but not quite this good. Below is my review which I posted on good reads and Amazon. All hail Kevin!

Stunning Writing

What a beautiful, poignant story. Vaguely reminiscent of John Steinbeck but more subtle. The narrative voice is flawless and the blend of humour and sadness expertly handled. The characters in this story are down and outs - thieves, hookers, users, crazy, or just plain mean. The main character, simple-minded Willy, is adrift among them, one step away from returning to jail, with no real purpose or guide and no direction. The murder of a woman at the hotel has him hunting for evidence, in the form of a statue of the Madonna. In this seemingly lost world the statue shines out as a symbol of simple human kindness. This book was hard to put down. Beautifully constructed and, I think, heading for the bestseller list.

No comments:

Post a Comment